Perhaps due to the recent glimpses of spring or maybe there’s an internal lightening and brightening occurring as I shake off the winter season, but the past few weeks, more so than usual, I have delighted in bright colors. Bold ensembles, taste-the-rainbow bowls of greens and grains, you name it.
I’ve have been drawn to lemon everything. Sliced lemons in my water, as decor for my tablescape, in my essential oil diffuser, and in my desserts!
Ever since I was a kid, I have L*O*V*E*D lemon bars! For me, it was like bright lemony sunshine in a dessert. The tangy sweetness has always been my favorite flavor profile, but lemon bars have not been amongst my adult baked goods.
I (mistakenly) thought they would be too much work, the crust in particular. After embracing a gluten-free, low sugar lifestyle, I favored muffins and breads as my creative comfort zone until a recently-inspired excursion to the grocery store.
During this spark of epicurean insight, I decided I would not be outwitted by a made-from-scratch gluten-free crust. I bought one 🙂 Storebought gluten-free crusts can be just as delicious as homemade and a heckuva lot easier!
After preparing the crust as its instructions directed, I poured in the lemon filling, baked for a quick 20, and enjoyed for days! Low sugar and refreshing offering just the right tanginess and perfect as a stand-alone dessert or topped with whipped cream or coconut cream, it’s become a daily staple! Try it out, make it your own, and share your style with us!
Easy Peasy Gluten-Free Lemon Bars
Yields 4-6 squares
- 1 1/2 cups monk fruit extract granules, sugar or sweetener of your choice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (or the juice of ~4 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons lemon peel grated
Pro tip: Grate the lemons before you juice them.
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 Tbl gluten-free flour
I have accidentally forgotten the flour, and they still turned out well. If you’re going grain-free with your crust, you can skip the flour and still have a delectable dessert!
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray a 9×9 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Press the glutenfree crust into the baking tin or baking dish of your choice, shaping a little bit of the crust up the sides.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together all of the filling ingredients until smooth.
- Pour mixture over the crust and bake for 20-25 minutes or until set in the middle. It may split like a pumpkin pie does, or you can insert a fork or knife to check. When the utensil comes out clean, you’re ready to go!
- Let cool on the counter for one to two hours, or as long as your self-control allows 🙂
- Cut into squares and top with powdered sugar, whipped cream or coconut ice cream, if desired.
- Best to store the squares in the fridge if you’re not immediately serving or plan to have leftovers.
We love seeing how you make our recipes your own. Share with us on social media or share this recipe with a friend looking for a light, healthy treat!
All the best for your health and happiness,