Who’s ready for some Football?! And beer! And cocktails! And snacks! (and the inevitable hangover… no?)
Parties are one of the biggest potholes on the road to sticking to healthy habits, especially Super Bowl parties.
The rich noshes, flowing booze, and partying late into the evening often brings a blurry, foggy, sluggish Monday morning. (We’d love to say it’s because we danced so hard during the half-time show, but let’s be real. It was the salt, snacks, scotch and sleeplessness. The bloated, thick-tongued, puffy-eyed version in the mirror probably agrees it wasn’t your breaking it down to Justin Timberlake that left you in this condition 😉 )
Without giving up any street cred or socializing time, use our favorite healthy tricks to indulge and enjoy and still feel good on Monday morning!
Healthy Tricks for Super Bowl Soirees
1. Eat before you go. Curb your appetite for fried foods and rich dips with greens, protein and healthy carbs. Try a salad with protein, loaded sweet potatoes, or hummus with veggies and a hardboiled egg.
2. Bring the snacks you want to eat. Lighter fare and lighter mixers (see #5) offer you options that suit your needs and helps others have alternatives, too. Have you heard a hostess turn down more food that s/he doesn’t have to prepare?
3. Choose dishes with the fewest boxed or bagged ingredients and go easy on breaded or battered hors d’oeuvres in favor of baked, steamed, raw, etc.
4. Have smaller portions of richer menu items and heavier cocktails and beers.
5. Go easy on sugar and sweets, including desserts and cocktail mixers. Try water or club soda instead of regular soda, juices, etc.
6. Alternate a glass of water with each cocktail and know your limit. Call an Uber or a friend to drive you home, if you’re over served.
7. Stop eating at half-time. Give your body a break from food before bedtime to allow for better quality sleep, which staves off a hangover and also prevents sluggishness (and cravings for sugar, caffeine and snacks) tomorrow.
8. Set your intention and expectation to get back into the healthier swing of things. Give yourself a break on Monday, eat as clean as you can, drink plenty of water (non-sugary coffee drinks if you need a boost) and go to bed early. You’ll be back slaying workouts and the world’s problems by Tuesday, no doubt!
We’d love to hear your go-to Super Bowl party tricks in the comments below, and share these Super Bowl (and anytime) party tips with like-minded friends who could use them by forwarding this link!
Cheers to your indulgence, health & happiness!