Fall brings many seasonal delights, like PSL’s (OK, pumpkin spice ANYTHING!), hay mazes, apple picking and delicious spiced sweets and treats.
A better way to snack (and use the fruits of the apple picking outing) is our *NEW* All-Natural Homemade Applesauce! Low in sugar, yet naturally sweet, this chunky applesauce is a smart snack with fewer calories and more nutrients than other ubiquitous fall sweet treats like cookies and pies! With seasonal spices, like cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg, you can indulge in the season without overindulging!
Sweet & Spicy Applesauce
Serves 4 heartily
- 4 medium apples of any variety (preferably also organic), peeled
- 1 medium apple of any variety (preferably also organic), unpeeled
- 1/3 c water (more if needed)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Optional: 2 Tbl brown sugar, maple syrup, date syrup, etc
- Cut apples into rough 1/2-inch chunks.
- Add to a two-quart pot or larger.
- Add all ingredients to pot.
- Bring to a low boil, stirring occasionally to avoid burning or sticking.
Note: If you added any sort of sugar, you will need to stir every few minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
As many of our dishes, this treat can be served for breakfast as a stand-alone dish or atop oatmeal or yogurt or as a snack! (We have a couple of clients who add a small dollop of Cool Whip and call it dessert!) Anytime you choose to enjoy, it’s a bowl of deliciousness!
How do you satisfy your sweet tooth with healthy sweets? Share your ideas with us below!