I have not had cheesecake in YEARS since the ingredients – cream cheese, graham crackers and sometimes almonds – were found to wreak such havoc on my body. Although, like many of you, I’ve gotten used to a cheesecake-free life, I’ve been curious to see if a Sprout & Rosebud option could replicate that taste and texture. … or at least something similar to offer to the roulette wheel of desserts in our house!
The rules were simple: no gluten in the crust, no dairy in the filling, and no nuts anywhere. If possible, less sugar, too (after reading Dr. Mark Hyman’s The Blood Sugar Solution, you’d cut back STAT, as well). I decided to go with a pre-made crust and found Mi-Del’s at the local grocery story. The challenge would be to recreate that rich, almost tart taste of the full-fat cream cheese traditionally used. Let’s be honest right up front that tofu or coconut options are highly unlikely to satisfy that texture and taste.
Coconut was out because of my sensitivities, so I went with Tofutti Cream Cheese, which I had enjoyed over the years as a bagel shmear.*
Only in the most fortunate of parallel universes would cream cheese made from tofu be equivalent to real cream cheese, and I definitely sensed that I may have bitten off more than I could chew, as they say 😉 #punintended
The final product was like the love child of cheesecake and flan.
Delicious, though different than “normal” cheesecake. Lighter, less saccharine sweet and without the after-effect of bloating and guilt. Definitely a treat I wouldn’t mind putting into rotation for Client recipes, dinner parties and the like. The cherry on top was the positive review and second serving by my taste tester, who fancies himself a Chicago cheesecake connossieur with a refined palette and borderline sugar addiction!
The Sprout & Rosebud Cheesecake
One pre-made Gluten Free Graham Cracker Crust
- Two 8 oz. tubs of Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese (or cream cheese sub of your choice)
- 2/3 cups of Stevia, Stevia/Sugar blend or sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For fruit topping:
- One package of organic strawberries
- Two Tbl Sugar or or Stevia/Sugar Blend
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Let the cream cheese get to room temperature, then beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Add the two eggs and vanilla extract.
- Pour into the crust and bake for 40 minutes or until slightly brown on top.
- For the filling, rinse, hull and slice the strawberries in a bowl with the sugar. Let sit until they get syrupy.
- Once the cheesecake has cooled, slice and serve with the strawberries and syrup on the top.
*Note: Although Tofutti’s “Better than Cream Cheese” does contain partially hydrogenated soybean oil (which I strictly avoid), this option was preferable from a food-allergen standpoint, so I went with it. As always, choose what’s the best for YOU and aligns with your health goals and priorities.
We love hearing how you customize this recipe to make it your own. Share your thoughts with us below, or send us a note!