Let’s talk about the energy crisis. No, I don’t mean the one that the UN tackles on the reg, but yours; that lag in the late morning or mid-afternoon where you’d like nothing more than to crawl under your desk or hide out in the back seat of your car to catch some Zzz’s.
You know that brain fog and general “meh” that hits you at the lulls in the day is a factor of your nutrition, your sleep habits, and your overall health and lifestyle, right? Of course you do. Well, share that secret with some of your friends because most people – 76 percent of workers, actually – feel tired many days of the week, and get this, 15 percent even fall asleep during the day at least once a week (huffpo.com)!
Let’s assume that these friends of yours, the ones among the 76%, need you to help them out and share your wisdom on how to stay alert, feel more energized (without the jet fuel known as energy drinks) and overall feel better. What would you say? Here are a few tips you can crib to help them get their luster back!
WHAT TO DO FOR LASTING ENERGY ALL DAY
– Eliminate processed foods (breads, tortillas, pastas, bagels, etc.)
– Bid sayonara to sugar & read labels to see where hidden sugar can surprise you, e.g. spaghetti sauce, salsa, coffee creamer, milk…
– Exercise. Experiment with morning, lunchtime or evening workouts and which works best for you.
– Avoid caffeine past 2PM. This one is going to hit some folks pretty hard, especially if they’re one of those who actually should cut it off after noon. Try what works for you and be ready for a few days/weeks of withdrawal and adaptation. Don’t fall off the wagon. Your adrenals, your sleep quality and your mental health will thank you.
– End your shower every morning with 30+ seconds of cold water. Aye caramba!
WHAT TO EAT
Eating for optimal health is not a sprint, but a marathon, and it’s the small, consistent changes that yield the best results. The recommended foods below will help you gain more energy, better skin, clearer thinking and all those other unicorns we seek in our healthy lifestyles, but it’s up to you to listen to your body and tailor your meals to what YOU need.
This is the step we often skip in the search for the quick fix.
For lasting results, learn to make peace with your body, listen to what it needs and choose wisely. Got it? Good! Now check out these superfoods that’ll give you wings!
- Non-instant rices (like brown, black, red), kasha, steel cut oats and others for breakfast, lunch and dinner are good for every meal.
- Try one serving per main meal and see how you feel. Adjust as you need.
- Organic and as clean as possible, including eggs and milk.
- Get protein at each meal & listen to your body; some days you’ll need more than other days.
- If you’re craving sugar, eat protein and fat, not carbs and sugar (regardless of that crazy craving!)
- Healthy fats like nuts, seeds and avocados or cold-pressed oils are key.
- Fearing fat? Don’t be. Don’t take my word for it, though. Check out this world-renowned physician’s and NY Times Best Seller’s thoughts on it.
Fruits & Vegetables
- Adhere to the EWG’s Dirty Dozen & Clean Fifteen (found here)
- Stick with low glycemic fruits and reach for fruit instead of candy or sweets. In other words, skip the bananas and go for melon and berries when the Snickers calls your name. Eat some peanuts with it, and breathe through the craving.
- Eat as many vegetables as you can as often as you can. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. Crowd out those other energy zapping foods for energizing options, like raw, roasted or sautéed veggies!
Hungry for more?